Posts for tag: Veteran's Day
American veterans have met our foreign enemies head-on for years, unfortunately there is another enemy that has been attacking them right here at home; an enemy named diabetes. According to the American Diabetes Association, right now, 5.5 Million Veterans receive VA (Veteran’s Health Administration) health care services. Out of those 5.5 million veterans, every 1 out of 4 has diabetes. Since November is Diabetes Awareness Month, it is important to get educated about diabetes and what can be done about it.
Diabetics are prone to various foot problems and so it is important to take the necessary steps for foot care. Here are the basics about diabetes and how, with proper care and maintenance, it can be successfully managed.
- Eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly.
- Regular self-monitoring and medical care to control blood sugar.
- Refrain from tobacco use.
- Get a yearly foot check.
- Do NOT try to cut your own corns and calluses.
- Minor cuts, scratches, and abrasions can turn into an infection. Do not self- treat.
- Wash feet daily and dry thoroughly.
- Carefully inspect your feet on a regular basis.
Thank you to all who have served our country and Happy Veteran’s Day!