Posts for tag: Summer
Flip flops, sun dresses, beach towels, and sunglasses...the true signs of summer. Now that we are in full fledged summer mode, all of the newest 2015 summer fashion trends are popping up on Tv, at the beach, and all around town! One trend that will never seem to go out of style are flip flops. Most people choose to wear sandals or flip flops during the summer but don’t know the consequences that come along with wearing them. Here are a few things to keep in mind when opting for a pair of flip-flops:
According to American Podiatric Medical Association:
- · Do shop for a flip-flop made of high-quality, soft leather. Leather minimizes the potential for blisters and other types of irritation.
- Do gently bend the flip-flop from end to end, ensuring it bends at the ball of the foot. Shoes of any kind should never fold in half.
- Do ensure that your foot doesn't hang off of the edge of the flip-flop.
- Do wear a sturdy pair of flip-flops when walking around a public pool, at the beach, in hotel rooms and in locker room areas. Walking barefoot can expose foot soles to plantar warts and athlete's foot.
- Don't re-wear flip-flops year after year. Inspect older pairs for wear. If they show signs of severe wear, discard them.
- Don't ignore irritation between toes, where the toe thong fits. This can lead to blisters and possible infections.
- Don't wear flip-flops while walking long distances. Even the sturdiest flip-flops offer little in terms of shock absorption and arch support.
- Don't do yard work while wearing flip-flops. Always wear a shoe that fully protects feet when doing outside activities such as mowing the lawn or using a weed-eater.
- Don't play sports in flip-flops. This practice can lead to twisting of the foot or ankle, as well as sprains and breaks.
Who doesn’t love a beach-bound vacation? The sun, sand, and warm weather are always a welcome break from the everyday grind of life. You get to happily lounge around all day with your toes in the water, cold drink in hand, and not a worry in the world while soaking up the rays.
With all of the recent studies about sun damaging your skin, most people have become much more aware of the risk of skin cancer in their everyday lives as well as at their destination vacations and as a result are remembering to wear sunscreen. Unfortunately, feet are usually overlooked when it comes to protecting your skin.
It is extremely important to apply sun protection to your feet to ensure that you don’t get burned or, worse case scenario, get skin cancer. Skin cancer of the foot is common and can be fatal if it’s not caught early enough. Melanoma symptoms can be subtle and can look like an abnormal mole or freckle, which can be easy to miss without routine foot checkups. It’s important to remember to apply sunscreen all over your feet, especially the tops and fronts of ankles, and to reapply after you’ve been in the water.
If you are worried about an abnormal skin lesion, come in to get it checked out and stay on the safe side. We want you to enjoy your sun-kissed dreams and have a safe foot experience this summer. Make sure your sunny vacation doesn’t turn into a bunch of doctor visits and remember to slather on the sunscreen before you lay out!
With summer around the corner, everybody wants their feet to be in tip top shape! Unfortunately, foot fungus can be unsightly and a pain to deal with. If you have thick, yellowish-brown, chipped, or foul smelling toenails-then you may have foot fungus. It affects about 30 million Americans and can have serious consequences, especially for the elderly, diabetics, and individuals with immune deficiencies. The good thing is there is a quick and painless treatment available! While oral and topical treatments have a low clearance rate, laser is proven to be the least invasive and most effective treatment option with a high clearance rate! Here are some common questions about our laser:
Q: Who performs the procedure?
A: Either Dr.Emini or Dr.Kim will personally perform your laser treatment, provide recommendations post-treatment, and monitor your long term progress.
Q: How long does the procedure take?
A: The procedure can be performed in our office in as little as 15 minutes.
Q: Does it hurt?
A: There is minimal pain associated with the gentle laser light during or after your treatment. The laser does not harm healthy tissue or affect your activity in any way. No anesthesia and no injections are required.
Q: Is there a recovery period?
A: No, the treatment does not harm you in any way. You will be able to put on your shoes and walk out of the office just as well as you walked in.
Q: What does the procedure cost?
A: Each patient is dealt with on an individual basis depending on the severity of your condition. Call our office to get an assessment today!
Fungal Toenails are not something to wait on. Fungus is contagious and can easily spread to other nails, causing further damage. If you think that you have fungal toenails then it is important to get them treated immediately and have clear, healthy nails in no time!