Posts for tag: Breast Cancer Awareness
From 5k’s and marathons, to wearing pink and sporting the breast cancer ribbon on your car, pens, shirt, or anywhere else you can put it, breast cancer is a highly recognized topic with wide spread acknowledgement of the disease around the world. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and we while most people are aware of the disease, many don’t have a complete understanding of it, or forget to take the steps to detect the disease in its early stages.
This is why we believe it is important to be educated and spread awareness about this disease at our office. So what do feet and breast cancer have to do with each other? Technically, nothing. But at DM Foot & Ankle, we believe that the health of the entire body is connected and our approach to healthcare looks at the body as a whole, not as isolated parts.
Here are some of the basic facts you should know according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation:
- Breast cancer is a disease in which cancer cells form in the tissues of the breast. The damaged cells can invade surrounding tissue, but with early detection and treatment, most people continue a normal life.
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- 8 out of 10 lumps found is benign, but all of them require an evaluation by a doctor.
- A self-exam should be performed once a month. A physical by a doctor should be done once a year.
- Nipple tenderness, a lump or thickening in or near the breast or underarm area, a change in skin texture, or enlargement of pores in the skin of the breast can all be early signs of breast cancer.
- Breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death among women.
- While rare, breast cancer in men does occur.