Posts for tag: Back to school
Summer is quickly coming to an end while parents and children all over are scrambling to get their back to school necessities ready. One of the most important necessities needed in order to start your kid’s year off right is a fresh pair of shoes. Ensuring you have the best shoe for your child can be intimidating, but follow these tips and your child will have happy feet all year long:
1. Get Measured: Ask a store associate to measure your child’s foot to confirm you are getting the best fit. If your child’s feet measure differently, always buy for the larger foot.
2. Immediate Comfort: Buy a pair of shoes that provide ultimate comfort to your child the moment they are slipped on to their feet. There should be no “break-in" period.
3. Try On Before Buying: Bring your child with you to the store when purchasing shoes for them. Remember to also bring the type of sock your kiddo will be wearing with their shoes to promise a comfortable fit when worn together.
4. Leave Room For Growth: Your child’s toes need room for growth. There should be enough room in the shoe for your child to wiggle their toes freely.
5. Follow the ABCs of Shoe Buying:
A.) Look for a stiff heel. Press on each side of the heel of the shoe. The heel should not collapse when doing this.
B.) The toe box must be flexible. The toe box of the shoes should bend with the toes. It should not be too stiff or bend too much.
C.) The shoes must have a rigid middle. Be sure that the shoes do not bend or twist in the middle at the arch of the shoe.
Your child’s feet change as they grow, so remember to check their shoes frequently. By keeping these tips in mind, you will have one less thing to stress about this back to school season.
It’s that time of year again! The final weeks of summer vacation are coming to an end. Now it is time for school supplies, new clothes, rearranging schedules, after-school sports, and preparing for the new school year ahead. As you make your back-to-school shopping list, be sure to include a pair of comfortable new shoes that your child can wear. According to APMA, there are many important factors to be aware of when buying a new pair of shoes for your child:
Children’s feet are growing! Children are constantly growing out of their clothes. This also includes growing out of shoe and sock sizes, which can change every few months. Be sure to keep up with the right size.
Shoes that don’t fit can cause problems! It is important to get your child’s feet measured whenever you buy a new pair of shoes and watch for shoe irritation.
NO hand-me-downs! Everyone’s feet are shaped differently, once the shoes have been stretched and worn to fit one child’s foot, they should not be worn by another child. Also, fungus can be spread by shoe sharing.
Examine the heels of the shoes. The heels may wear through quicker than they outgrow the shoes. Uneven heels can indicate foot problems that should be checked by a podiatrist.
Always buy shoes that fit the larger foot. There will always be one foot that is bigger than the other, so it is safer to buy for the bigger foot so as to avoid shoe irritation.
Buy shoes that don’t need to be “broken in”. Shoes should not need to be broken in, they should be comfortable to begin with. Make sure to have your child try the shoes on with whatever type of sock they will normally be wearing to ensure proper fit.