If you’re looking for a good way to burn off that Christmas dinner this weekend, then running is a great place to start! At DM Foot & Ankle, we are big fans of running and living a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, many times we end up seeing more patients who have problems than healthy results from running!
A few of the common problems that we see:
1. Skin issues that occur are blisters, athlete’s foot, blackened toenails, and corns or calluses.
2. The most common musculoskeletal issues are plantar fasciitis, Achilles Tendinitis, and Shin Splints.
Most of the problems above can be avoided by proper foot care, hygiene, and by wearing the right running shoes. Here are a few tips:
Tips for Running Shoes
- Buy two pairs of running shoes and rotate them on a daily basis
- Replace your shoes every 400 miles or 1 to 2 times a year
- Buy shoes designed for your foot structure & activity type
- Make sure to use clean socks & keep your feet dry
- A stability running shoe works for most foot types
- Custom orthotics can help those with the above pains
Merry Christmas and Happy Running!