Flip flops, sun dresses, beach towels, and sunglasses...the true signs of summer. Now that we are in full fledged summer mode, all of the newest 2015 summer fashion trends are popping up on Tv, at the beach, and all around town! One trend that will never seem to go out of style are flip flops. Most people choose to wear sandals or flip flops during the summer but don’t know the consequences that come along with wearing them. Here are a few things to keep in mind when opting for a pair of flip-flops:
According to American Podiatric Medical Association:
- · Do shop for a flip-flop made of high-quality, soft leather. Leather minimizes the potential for blisters and other types of irritation.
- Do gently bend the flip-flop from end to end, ensuring it bends at the ball of the foot. Shoes of any kind should never fold in half.
- Do ensure that your foot doesn't hang off of the edge of the flip-flop.
- Do wear a sturdy pair of flip-flops when walking around a public pool, at the beach, in hotel rooms and in locker room areas. Walking barefoot can expose foot soles to plantar warts and athlete's foot.
- Don't re-wear flip-flops year after year. Inspect older pairs for wear. If they show signs of severe wear, discard them.
- Don't ignore irritation between toes, where the toe thong fits. This can lead to blisters and possible infections.
- Don't wear flip-flops while walking long distances. Even the sturdiest flip-flops offer little in terms of shock absorption and arch support.
- Don't do yard work while wearing flip-flops. Always wear a shoe that fully protects feet when doing outside activities such as mowing the lawn or using a weed-eater.
- Don't play sports in flip-flops. This practice can lead to twisting of the foot or ankle, as well as sprains and breaks.