November is National Diabetes Awareness Month. Diabetes is a disease that affects almost 26 million people all over the United States. We at DM Foot & Ankle Associates care about our patient’s overall health and want to help spread awareness on this disease that has affected so many among us.
Did You Know?
- Type 1 diabetes is characterized by a lack of insulin production and type 2 diabetes results from the body’s ineffective use of insulin.
- About 1/3 of all people with diabetes do not know they have the disease.
- Type 2 diabetes often does not show any symptoms.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in working age adults.
- People with diabetes are twice as likely to develop heart disease than someone without diabetes.
- Total deaths from diabetes is projected to rise by more than 50% within the next 10 years.
- Seeing a podiatrist reduces your risk of hospitalization associated with complications from diabetes.
Diabetes and Your Feet
There are many foot problems that can accompany diabetes. Some can be quick and severe, while others can be slow and make you susceptible to things like peripheral artery disease or amputations. Common foot complications associated with diabetes include:
- Neuropathy – Nerve damage resulting in loss of feeling in the legs that can also be accompanied by pain.
- Skin Changes - Dry feet resulting from losing control of nerves that affect oil and moisture.
- Foot Ulcers - Ulcers occur most often on the ball of the foot or on the bottom of the big toe. If neglected, infections may occur which can lead to amputations. It is important
- Poor circulation - Your foot is more susceptible to infections and it may be harder to heal with poor circulation. Smoking worsens circulation, but exercise helps!
If you or someone you know is diabetic, it is good measure and recommended by primary care physicians to be seen at least once a year by a podiatrist for a diabetic foot exam. Our doctors are proud to serve Lemont, Lockport, Homer Glen and all surrounding areas. Call our office at (630) 863-7517 to schedule your evaluation today!