13 Tricks to Help Build Good Habits
The new year welcomes a chance for a new you, but success does not happen overnight. Good habits are hard to build, but once they become habitual in our everyday life, they are even harder to break. We have put together a list of tips to help you create good habits and in return create a happier, healthier you.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
1. Identify your new habit - The first step in creating good habits is identifying the positive habits we would like to have.
2. Commit to the change - Do not procrastinate! Procrastination makes it harder to change a bad habit. the longer you put off taking action, the more difficult it is to changing your habit for the better.
3. Give your change 30 days - 30 days is all you need to automate a habit. After your initial 30 days, your positive changes will become easier to sustain.
4. Make it a daily habit - If you want your habit to stick, consistency is key. Actions become habits easier when they are performed daily versus 4 out of 7 days.
5. Don't overdo it - It is easy to become over motivated and take on too much. To avoid this mistake, make micro quotas for macro goals. Your goal should be the big item that you wish to accomplish, but you should identify the small steps, or micro quotas, that will make it easier for you to accomplish your macro goal.
6. Consistency is key - The more consistent you are with your good habits, the easier they will stick.
7. Stay Supported - Make sure the people around you know what you're trying to accomplish. Your habits will come easier when you have people around you to motivate you and help steer you away from temptations.
8. Replace old habit needs - If you are trying to kick an old habit, make sure you are replacing any needs you've lost with that habit. Example: If you are trying to quit smoking, chew a piece of gum instead any time you find the urge to pick up a cigarette.
9. Be imperfect - Don't be too hard on yourself and expect all of your habits to change immediately.
10. Say "No" to temptation - Restructure your environment to set yourself up for success.
11. Visualize with writing - Writing what you want to accomplish down makes it easier for you to focus on your end result and fulfilling your ultimate goal.
12. Find ways to reward yourself - Find healthy ways to reward yourself when you've done well to avoid slipping back into old habits that you are trying to rid yourself of.
13. Do it for yourself - Most importantly, make sure you are changing your habits for a happier, healthier you.
The podiatrists at DM Foot and Ankle Associates, Dr. Diana Emini and Dr. Michelle Kim, are utilizing these tips to help fulfill their new year resolutions. We encourage you to try these out and let us know which tips work best for you.
Our doctors treat patients in Lemont, Homer Glen, Lockport, Hinsdale, Burr Ridge and other surrounding suburbs. If you or someone you know is suffering from a foot or ankle issue, don't hesitate to contact us today!
Sources: www.lifehack.org, www.essentiallifeskills.net, and www.99u.com