Posts for: May, 2014
Summer is on its way, the Fourth of July is coming up and beach weather has arrived. For many people, that means an out-of-town vacation is on the horizon.
Keep the following tips in mind when traveling with medications.
When traveling by plane, bring your medications in their original bottles from the pharmacy. Especially when traveling abroad, this serves as a legal document when going through security and customs. Some countries may question the medication you bring, especially if the prescription is for narcotics or psychoactive drugs.
Take your medications as carry-ons. Checked luggage can get lost. Protect your medications as though your life depends on it – in some cases, it does.
For those traveling with diabetes, insulin can be kept at room temperature for one month. Those traveling with syringes should get a letter from their doctor explaining the needles are being used to deliver medication for diabetes.
In case medications get lost or stolen while traveling, visit your physician before you go to get a list of all your prescriptions and what they treat. If your medications are lost, you might be able to take the list to a doctor or pharmacy and get enough to last through the trip.
When packing medications, take as much as you need while you are gone, plus enough to last through an unexpected delay. Packing double the amount of medication you think you'll need is a safe bet.
After a long winter with too many visits from the Polar Vortex, summer is finally here. And with Memorial Day right around the corner, that means many people's plans call for summer vacations.
No matter where you're traveling this summer – a weekend getaway to Six Flags Great America or Wisconsin Dells, a day trip to Navy Pier, a Cubs or Sox game, the Taste of Chicago or an out-of-town getaway -- we want to be part of your summer fun.
In May, June and July, we're inviting patients and community members to pick up a free, flip-flop stress reliever from our Lemont office at 14236 McCarthy Road. Take the flip-flop with you on vacation or as you partake in summer fun in and around the Chicago area, and post your photos on our Facebook page.
Winners in each category will win a $50 American Express gift card!
Here are all the details:
1. From May through July, pick up a free, flip-flop stress reliever with the DMFA logo at our front desk.
2. Take the flip-flop with you as you do something fun this summer – whether it’s a visit to the beach, attending a festival or concert, a neighborhood picnic or barbecue or traveling out of town.
3. Snap a photo with the flip flop during your travels. Keep in mind we’re giving away prizes in three categories: 1. Best Selfie 2. Most Unique 3. Best photo bomb.
4. Send us your flip-flop photos on Facebook.
5. To do so, link to our Facebook page or simply search for "DM Foot and Ankle Associates." Like us and hit the “message” button under the right hand side of our cover photo. In the white box that pops up, click “Add files.” Then simply choose the photo from your desktop to upload.
6. Don’t forget to write a short caption letting us know where the photo was taken and what you were doing. Then hit “Send."
7. We’ll post your photos on our Facebook page. A member of our staff will notify winners via Facebook messaging in August
Have a great time photographing the flip-flop during your adventures!
By Diana Emini
Memorial Day is almost here and summer is on its way – warm-weather blockbusters such as “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” are already in theaters, and will soon be followed by the highly anticipated “Godzilla.”
Summer means travel for many people in Lemont. Whether your plans call for a day trip to the upcoming Taste of Chicago, a weekend in Wisconsin Dells or a getaway out-of-state, as podiatrists at DM Foot and Ankle Associates, Dr. Diana Emini and I want to make sure everyone takes care of themselves while they’re having summer fun.
Here are a few tips for travel hygiene when you’re playing in the sun this summer.
1. Keep in mind that airplanes and hotels are public places, and they may be quite germy! Consider traveling with sanitizing wipes to clean off those plane seats. A disinfecting spray to use in your hotel shower and toilet can prevent the possible spread of fungi, bacteria and viruses. In our office, we carry Citrace, a hospital-grade disinfectant that smells citrusy. Also, it's best to avoid walking barefoot around the hotel. We've seen many cases of athlete's foot and plantar warts from patients walking barefoot in public.
2. While in transit or spending the day in the hot sun, try wearing polyester "dry-fit" shirts that are lightweight, wrinkle-free and dry quickly. As a bonus -- they take up almost zero room in a backpack or suitcase. Stores such as REI also sell varieties of wrinkle-free clothing, including pants and button-down shirts. It’s also a good idea to keep a stain-erasing pen, such as Tide to Go, in your purse or backpack. On days when you've been sweating, remember to wash your feet and let them air out once you're back at your hotel.
3. Shield yourself from germs while traveling by keeping a travel-sized bottle of hand sanitizer with you. The Centers for Disease control and Prevention recommends ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizers in gel form that are at least 60 percent ethanol. Also, don’t forget to wash your hands before eating and after using the bathroom. Always wash with hot, soapy water. Be generous with the soap and rub your hands together for 20 seconds before rinsing.
4. Ditch the flip-flops and sandals when you’re going on hikes or tours and choose sneakers instead. Not only will this keep your feet from getting dirty, but you will be more comfortable and give your feet better support throughout the day.
By Michelle Kim
At DM Foot and Ankle Associates, Dr. Michelle Kim and I are always looking for ways to grow the practice and to show our appreciation to our patients. So starting now (May 1st, to be exact,) we're offering a special promotion in our Lemont office complete with a grand prize of a brand-new Kindle Fire HD! The tablet allows users to download movies, TV shows, music, books, games and more!
Interested? Here's how you can get your name in the running.
New patient referral raffle!
From May 1 through July 31, we’re hosting a new patient referral contest. All DM Foot and Ankle patients who refer a new patient to our office will have their name entered into our raffle. One ticket will be issued for each new person referred, so you can get one chance to win -- or many more! Keep in mind that patients must list the person who referred them for credit.
The grand-prize winner will take home a free, 7-inch, 16GB Kindle Fire HD. There will also be drawings for a $100 gift certificate to La Dolce Vita restaurant and a $50 gift certificate to Petal Play floral studio.
The raffle will be held the first week of August, and winners will be notified by our staff.
Follow us on Facebook and win!
The raffle is not all we’re up to this summer! Through the end of May, we’re inviting our patients to follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter and Google+) for a chance to win a $50 American Express gift card.
Those who follow us before May 31 will have their name entered into a raffle for the gift card! Following us on one site earns one raffle ticket, while those who follow us on both Facebook and Twitter earn two raffle tickets. We’ll draw a name in June and notify the winner.
Don’t know how to find us online? No problem! Simply click on the links below (or copy and paste the links into your web browser,) and hit “Like” on Facebook and “Follow” on Twitter or Google+. By doing so, you’re automatically entered into the raffle!
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Dmfootandankle/about
Following us gives you instant access to our weekly blog, a heads up about monthly specials and discounts and news about events in our office.
Facebook photo contest!
In addition, we’re hosting a Facebook photo contest this summer (more details to come in next week's blog!) Following us online allows you to follow the contest – or even submit a photo for your chance at prizes.
For more information about any of these promotions, please call our office at (630) 863-7517 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
We look forward to your continued support both in our office and online!
By Diana Emini