Posts for: August, 2013
The weather may be cooling and the kids may be back in school, but you still likely see plenty of women (and men, for that matter) enjoying the warm weather by wearing sandals and other open-toed shoes. There's still time to get some use out of that summer footwear by visiting outdoor spots such as Brookfield Zoo, Navy Pier and North Avenue Beach. And when you do, you'll want to make sure your toes are still sandal-ready.
Sure, you could visit your local nail salon for a mani-pedi, but DM Foot and Ankle Associates are offering a much better option – medically safe nail spa services right here in our office at 14236 McCarthy Road, Lemont, IL.
What makes our nail service different? And why did Dr. Michelle Kim and Dr. Diana Emini start offering mani-pedis? In short, because they have seen too many patients come in with fungal infections, ingrown nail infections, and warts after visiting a standard nail salon.
Our nail services are designed to drastically reduce your chances of picking up fungus or other types of infections. Here at DM Foot and Ankle, pedicures still start with a soothing soak in a whirpool bath and end with your choice of polish – including the popular no-chip variety. The difference is that everything involved in the service -- the instruments to the brushes used to apply the polish -- are single-use, eliminating the chances of cross-contamination between clients.
Think about it – when you go to a salon and pick a color, you don't know who's used that bottle. If the brush was used on someone with toenail fungus (which spreads easily – and did you know a fungal nail typically takes a year to grow out after treatment?) you could end up with fungus yourself.
Other benefits of our nail services include:
- Dr. Remedy's nail polish, which is infused with natural ingredients and antifungals. It's also free of formaldehyde, DBP, and tolulene, a solvent that's toxic in high concentrations.
- No-chip nail services use the OPI gel system, which uses LED light (meaning no UV radiation.)
- Autoclaved instruments – the tools our nail techs use are disinfected and stored in sterile packs, similar to surgical sterilization. Be wary of salons that don't actually sterilize their instruments. These establishments may have plastic instruments within the sterilization bags. Plastic instruments can't withstand the high heat process during sterilization in the autoclave because they would melt.
- Nail files and buffing blocks are used one time only
- Whirpool foot baths are disinfected with medical-grade products after each use
Nail services will be offered at DM Foot and Ankle Associates on Thursdays from 1-6 p.m., Fridays from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and every other Saturday from 10 a.m.- 1 p.m. Walk-ins as well as appointments will be accepted.
Those interested in mani-pedis have several options. We offer express manicures with soaking, shaping and polish starting at $15 and express pedicures at $25. There are traditional mani-pedis, as well as deluxe options that include hand or foot massages and deep-conditioning masks that range in price from $25 to $55. Also, patients who come to DM Foot and Ankle Associates for regular nail care can get pedicures with a foot soak, nail shaping and polish for $25. Seniors can get a nail trim for as little as $6.
We here at DM Foot and Ankle Associates are excited to offer this service to the community. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call our office at 630-863-7517.